Saturday, March 04, 2006

People we meet

I have been residing in downtown for a couple of months now. Everyday I see lots of homeless people. They are smiling, holding placards asking for clothes, money. They are kind, they will never tell you anything aout the problems they are facing, but I know they are in pain. They dont have the comfort of turning the heater on when its cold. They dont have the liberty to complain.
As I cross their path almost daily, they have become part of my daily life. There is this guy who will look into your eye and give a genuine smile everytime he sees you. He looks really intelligent and experienced. I dosent matter that I havent given him a dime yet, he will still smile. I often wonder what did he do to deserve such a life? As I think about them and their experience with life I cant help but say -

My life is perfect, even if it's not

4 comments:

SAL said...

"It is not necessary to advertise food to hungry people, fuel to cold people, or houses to the homeless." ~ John Kenneth Galbraith

OMG, everytime I read this, feel I'm so fortunate. As you say say,'My life is perfect, even if it's not'

Wonderful thought, intense!

s said...

The guy smiles each day because he probably understands the fact that he is fortunate than those unfortunate few...He thanks God for having given him all that he already has today, rather than craving for all that he doesn't.

By smiling, he at least makes your day, if not his...and in doing so, he sure gets the satisfaction making someone's soul smile.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is we must learn to share. In everything we have got and only then will we grow.

RĂªves said...

very well said...
we have no clue how fortunate we are!
and its nice that once in a while somebody (here..u)reminds us of that!